Summer is upon us, which means it's almost time for some fun in the sun! And with that warm weather, often comes time on the water. Your boat might have been tucked away for a few months now, but it's time to get it ready for its return. While this is not a technical checklist for getting your boat ready for the warm weather season, here is a very general list of things to do to make sure your boat is ready!
- Make sure you insurance is up to date! Call us at 916-488-4426 if you have any questions or would like to update your policy!
- Do a general cleaning. Check out the links below for more specifics.
- Take care of any repairs or maintenance. (Don't forget to check all fluids!)
- Make sure you have all necessary equipment.
- Test it out in a safe area before taking it on a long trip.
In terms of insurance coverage for your boat, there are some things you should know. First of all, it is good to know what is covered. Of course, coverage varies greatly based on many things including: the type of boat, where it sails, the age of the boat, and how much it is used. There are some things that most if not all policies should cover including:
- Physical damage (and loss): usually will cover the hull and other permanent features
- Liability coverage: if the boat harms anyone or anything (other than you)
Additional coverage can include: medical payments, towing and assistance, personal property, and uninsured boaters.
Some other tips regarding boat insurance:
- Know if your policy is a “cash value” or “agreed value” policy. It can make a big difference.
- Become a safe boater for discounts. (Good driving records and safe boating classes).
- You can get discounts for storing it during winter.
- Fresh water boats are cheaper to insure that salt water ones.
- Sometimes it is good to have a separate policy just for your boat.
- Know your policy! Contact your agent if you have any questions.
If you have any questions regarding a current policy and/or are interested in purchasing one, please feel free to contact us! We can be reached at 916-488-4426 or through the “contact us” form on our website. Having good insurance can help ease your mind and allow for smooth sailing. From all of us at CCIS, happy sailing! Or should we say… bon voyage!!